Position Title: Civil Legal Assistant (Paralegal)
Salary Range: $21-$23.50/hour
Classification: Full Time Non-Exempt
Supervised by: Civil Legal Attorney
Applications due: October 29, 2020 or until filled.
CAWS North Dakota is a non-profit domestic violence and sexual assault coalition. Our mission is to provide leadership and support in the identification, intervention and prevention of domestic and sexual violence.
Provide administrative and paralegal support to the project attorney, case preparation and client advocacy through the Civil Legal Remedies Project to carry out the following:
• Participate in a state-wide Civil Legal Remedies Collaborative that will consist of professionals from the legal community and victim services.
• Increase the capacity of attorneys and victim service providers to be well-versed in trauma-informed practices and trained about the civil legal remedies that can be helpful to crime victims.
• Implement and staff a virtual legal advisement call line for crime victims to provide free legal advice and follow up to civil legal issues. The call line will be designed to complement other legal services that are provided by others in the state.
• Administrative and legal support to the Civil Legal Attorney in developing and implementing the legal call line; schedule coordination and legal research.
• Answer calls on the legal services advisement call line, under the supervision of the Civil Legal Attorney.
• Client assistance including collection of case documents, translation, advocacy and referrals.
• Clerical responsibilities including client record maintenance, mailing, copies, and phone reception.
• Organize and assemble cases staffed through the call line under the supervision of legal staff.
• Participate in the organization and supervision of meetings, webinars and trainings.
• Track service data and assist with the completion of grant applications and reports.
• Provide technical assistance and training to member programs and community.
• Commitment to social justice, social change work, and ending violence.
• Understand issues of cultural and socio-economic diversity.
• Possess a demonstrated interest in domestic violence work and trauma-informed services, or willingness to learn.
• Formal education as Paralegal with two years of experience, or significant prior work experience in immigration legal services, advocacy, or work in culturally-specific/marginalized communities.
• Prefer knowledge in civil and criminal law related to immigration and domestic violence including VAWA petitions, U-Visa, T-Visa, etc.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Strong organizational skills are required to manage workload, time and resources, and to schedule and prioritize projects.
• The ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory to protect clients and their unique legal situation while being diligent and firm with high ethical standards.
Working Conditions & Hours
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with the ability to provide some flexibility. Work is performed in an office environment. Ability to sit for extended periods of time at a desk working on a computer. Some walking, bending, stooping and lifting of materials is required. Uses a computer and other standard office equipment on a regular, daily basis. Frequent mental and visual concentration required for computer usage.
Send cover letter and resume by October 29, 2020 or until filled to:
521 E. Main Ave. Suite 320
Bismarck, ND 58501
701 or 888-255-6240 extension 1004