Position Title: Legal Services Director
Salary Range: $60,000-$66,560/year
Classification: Full Time Exempt
Report To: Executive Director
Applications due: October 11, 2019 or until filled.
CAWS North Dakota is a non-profit domestic violence and sexual assault coalition. Our mission is to provide leadership and support in the identification, intervention and prevention of domestic and sexual violence.
Overview: The position will have oversight of projects addressing civil legal needs of crime victims including complicated divorce and legal separation, evictions, child support and custody, contested protection order hearings, immigration, employment, and legal issues facing sexual assault and human trafficking victims.
Primary Responsibilities: Coordinate and manage the Civil Legal Remedies Project to carry out the following:
- To assist in establishing a state-wide Civil Legal Remedies Collaborative that will consist of professionals from the legal community and victim services. The collaborative will develop a strategized plan with priorities in addressing crime victims’ needs.
- Increase the capacity of attorneys and victim service providers to be well-versed in trauma-informed practices and trained about the civil legal remedies that can be helpful to crime victims. A website component will be developed to increase awareness about civil legal options for crime victims.
- Implement and staff a virtual legal advisement call line for crime victims and advocates in order to provide free legal advice and follow up to civil legal issues that do not require court representation. Support will also be offered through follow-up referrals, safety planning and emotional support. The call line will be designed to complement other legal services that are provided by others in the state. This position will provide oversight of the Civil Legal Specialist.
- License to practice law in North Dakota
- Knowledge of North Dakota courts, laws and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of immigration and family law, civil procedure, evidence, and ethics.
- Ability to provide professional, high quality and sensitive legal services to victims of domestic violence and stalking.
- Ability to counsel, advise clients and provide referrals for people who are in crisis.
- Demonstrate understanding and commitment to issues surrounding social and racial justice.
- Demonstrate experience in technical assistance and training.
- Ability to problem solve, take initiative, exercise sound judgment, and work independently.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Ability to complete assignments and responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner.
- Organized with the ability to multi-task.
Send cover letter and resume by October 11, 2019 or until filled to:
521 E. Main Ave. Suite 250
Bismarck, ND 58501
701 or 888-255-6240