Five things you can do to help a victim
1. Become informed – Learn more about domestic violence by contacting the crisis intervention center in your community and guide the victim to these services.
2. Lend a sympathetic ear – Offer support and be willing to listen and believe what someone is telling you.
3. Remind them the violence is not their fault -The abuser is the one responsible for their own behavior.
4. Help them develop a safety plan – Encourage the victim to develop a plan to protect themselves, and their children, if their partner becomes abusive again. Become a part of the victim’s safety plan.
5. Know when to intervene – Domestic violence is a crime, and if you know that it is occurring, call the police immediately.